Thursday, 27 December 2018
New Year Reflections for School Trustees
School Trustees are amazing! You set the conditions that will affect the lives and future of thousands of people in your community and province. You are literally building the future!
So, what better time than the approach of a new year to reflect on your trustee role and to set personal development goals for the coming year? Here’s a little self-reflection survey to consider how you and your board will work towards these hallmarks of good governance.
Happy New Year – and thank you for the critically important work that you do!
1. I can connect everything I do as a trustee back to improving student achievement.
2. I focus on policy development and monitoring district/student success rather than administrative matters.
3. I take into account the views and needs of the entire district rather than favouring specific groups.
4. I express my views clearly during debate but support the majority decision once made.
5. I come well prepared for board and committee meetings.
6. I am knowledgeable about our district bylaws, policies and the school act.
7. I express my opinions in a respectful manner.
8. I make decisions based on data and the input of others.
9. I am an ambassador for our students and school district in the board room, in schools and in the community.
10. I invest time in my own learning and development as trustee.